Wednesday, January 2, 2013

Health Care(less)

Last fall I had some frustrating health issues that made me realize how much I need a new doctor. Unfortunately it's not as easy as asking for recommendations, as I have an HMO. During my vacation, I spent time researching the different medical groups and doctors available under my insurance, and I finally thought I found ones that would work for me.

My primary concern was finding an OB. I've never had one before, as I've always gone to a family doctor for my annual. Since I'm not completely pessimistic about TTC quite yet, I wanted to choose a doctor affiliated with a hospital where I'd be comfortable giving birth.

After two days of searching and shouting at my laptop, I finally found someone I think I'll like. Then I was able to find a good family doctor for my husband and I who is nearby and in the same group! Everything seemed to be working out.

I had to wait until the new year to make an appointment for insurance reasons, so I called today. I officially have an annual appointment with Dr. B for mid-February. Then I called the family doctor... no such luck. It turns out that she's not accepting new patients.

Now I pretty much need to start from scratch looking for a family doctor, but I'm limited to doctors in the same group as the OB I selected. Aaaargh! I need to be fairly quick about this, too, since my employer now requires everyone to participate in a "Wellness Program" (or pay an extra $50/month for insurance), and I need to have a biometric screening done before the end of February.

I guess resolution #2 is not going as well as I thought.

5 comments:

  1. URGH!!! I HATE INSURANCE! It's so freaking complicated! I know I should be happy I have it, but seriously. Why is it so difficult!?!?!?! I'm sorry about all this shit!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Sabby. I feel silly whining about it since I'm really lucky to have insurance at all (and even luckier to have insurance that covers a lot of IF treatments). I just feel so stupid when it comes to figuring out what I'm supposed to do and how this all works. I miss Canada, where I could just walk into any doctor's office and be treated without paying anything.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm with you guys! I feel guilty because we DO have insurance but everything shouldn't seem like a fight or be such a challenge. I hope you guys are able to find a family physician, in your plan, accepting patients. Good luck!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. *I feel guilty complaining.

      Hi, I'm Amanda... I like to forget words and drink wine.

      Delete
    2. Haha, I gotcha. I, too, like to forget wine and drink words... or something. ;)

      Delete